One who is not an attorney is not authorized to practice law, which includes filling out immigration forms all the while giving you legal advice. Paralegals and consultants often assist individuals with filling out immigration forms but by law, they are not supposed to tell you what to file and how to file it. It is therefore crucial to hire a lawyer, because a lawyer is the only person authorized by law to represent you.

A board certified immigration attorney has gone through extensive screening (verification of practice of immigration law for at least 5 years, continuing education, examination, background checks) by their state bar to become expert in their field. Only lawyers who are board certified in immigration law can list “Board Certified” or “Specialist” or “Expert” on their business cards, website or advertising material.

At the Law Office of Maud Poudat, P.A., we are dedicated to assisting our clients, which include spending as much time as needed to give you sound expert advice during your initial consultation. We also believe that clients who are committed to receiving that type of advice will recognize the importance of the time spent by the lawyer on a consultation, which would otherwise be very limited if free consultations were offered.